Tuesday 2 January 2018

Review : Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough

28965131

Published by : Harper Collins
26 January 2017
Copy : Hardback - Reviewer Purchase

The Blurb

David and Adele seem like the ideal pair. He's a successful psychiatrist, she is his picture-perfect wife who adores him. But why is he so controlling? And why is she keeping things hidden?

As Louise, David's new secretary, is drawn into their world, she uncovers more puzzling questions than answers. The only thing that is crystal clear is that something in this marriage is very, very wrong. But Louise can't guess how wrong – and how far someone might go to protect their marriage's secrets.

The Very Pink Notebook Review

This book stood in my TBR pile for a while, before a tweet #thatendingWTF, sparked my attention.

Now, from some things I have read I understand this book is a little like marmite, readers are either loving or hating it.  Just like marmite, I fall into the love category.

For me, throughout the entire novel I was thinking, WTF?  How?  Why?  What?  Gripping from the outset the writing is effortless and beautifully paced.  Told from two perspectives - Adele and Louise - the plot twists and turns and thickens.  Some reviewers have stated they feel the author shows her hand too early, but for me I did not find that the case at all.  I couldn't quite fathom out the next move or twist or 'truth' and I didn't see the conclusion coming.

If  you are someone who doesn't like reality to be messed with then maybe this book isn't for you.  But if you don't mind when literally anything can happen in fiction then you are in for a corker.  I thought the basic premise of the book was really quite unique.

Usually I can say I loved / hated a main character but I just can't do it with these ones.  I found them engaging.  And for how complex the plot and timeline is I think the author has done a sterling job of keeping it clear, concise and flowing - I would love to see the planning schedule for this!  It would be difficult to elaborate more without spoilers.

I can understand why this book might not be everyone's cup of tea.  To be honest my initial reaction to the ending was indeed #WTF and I wasn't sure if that was in a good or bad way, but as I thought about it I felt the author was actually really brave to put it out there and be confident to take the risk and go with it.

So, I am certainly in camp 'Fan of this book' and as such Behind Her Eyes receives a Very Pink Notebook rating of : 




No comments:

Post a Comment